The overall objective of this project is to reduce illegal killing of protected wild birds in three European Union’s Mediterranean countries where this activity is still fairly common: Italy, Greece and Spain.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Raise awareness of key stakeholder groups (local communities, local authorities,, hunters, local authorities and the wider public) along the migratory flyways of the species affected by the illegal activities, with regards to the effects of illegal killing of birds on local and European biodiversity;
- Change of socio-cultural attitudes towards illegal killing in the younger generation;
- Improve law enforcement, through increased awareness and better coordination among law enforcement authorities;
This project will achieve these objectives by creating and maintaining a three-year awareness raising campaign aimed at decision makers, local authorities and local communities, particularly young people, and the general public.
Where the project takes place
The three hotspots are:
Italy: Sardinia (Sulcis):
Greece: Ionian islands
Spain: Catalonia, Valencia and SE Aragon.
Duration of the project
The project started on 1st August 2012 and will end on 31st January 2016.
The project partners and their role
- Coordinating Beneficiary: Lega Italiana Protezione Uccelli, LIPU/BirdLife Italia
- Associated Beneficiary: Hellenic Ornithological Society, HOS (BirdLife in Greece)
- Associated Beneficiary: Sociedad Española de Ornitologia, SEO/BirdLife Spain
- Associated Beneficiary: J. Walter Thompson Italia, JWT
- Associated Beneficiary: Holy Monastery of Strofadia and Saint Dionysus of Zakynthos, HMSD