THE OVERALL OBJECTIVE OF THIS PROJECT WAS TO REDUCE ILLEGAL KILLING OF PROTECTED WILD BIRDS IN THREE EUROPEAN UNION'S MEDITERRANEAN COUNTRIES WHERE THIS ACTIVITY IS STILL FAIRLY COMMON: ITALY, GREECE AND SPAIN.
The overall objective has been succesfuuly reached and we recorded a decline in the illegal activities in all three countries.
The specific objectives set and the results of the project are the following::
- Raise awareness of key stakeholder groups (local communities, local authorities,, hunters, local authorities and the wider public) along the migratory flyways of the species affected by the illegal activities, with regards to the effects of illegal killing of birds on local and European biodiversity; We reached all stakeholders in the three countries, involving the general public, students, local decision makers, Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) and the hunting community. Through the on-the-ground activities and the information campaigns we reached over 72 million people!
- Change of socio-cultural attitudes towards illegal killing in the younger generation; Specific polls carried out in the three countries have shown an increased awareness about the problem and a changed (Improved) attitude against poaching.
- Improve law enforcement, through increased awareness and better coordination among law enforcement authorities; By means of workshops, informal meetings and joint on-the-ground work we raised the awareness and attentions of the LAEs toward the problem and improved coordination and collaboration between NGOs and LEAs.
This project achieved these objectives by creating and maintaining a three-year awareness raising campaign ‘Leavinf is living’ aimed at decision makers, local authorities and local communities, particularly young people, and the general public. The final report of the project (link) provides all details.
Where the project took place
The three hotspots are:
Italy: Sardinia (Sulcis):
Greece: Ionian islands
Spain: Catalonia, Valencia and SE Aragon.
Duration of the project
The project started on 1st August 2012 and was successfully completed 31st November 2015.
The project partners and their role
- Coordinating Beneficiary: Lega Italiana Protezione Uccelli, LIPU/BirdLife Italia
- Associated Beneficiary: Hellenic Ornithological Society, HOS (BirdLife in Greece)
- Associated Beneficiary: Sociedad Española de Ornitologia, SEO/BirdLife Spain
- Associated Beneficiary: J. Walter Thompson Italia, JWT